Sunday 30 June 2013

artista del mes: anne luz castellanos

Anne Luz represents, just like Nadia, the next generation of talented Mexican creators, makers, artists. I met her about 4 years ago while visiting Bazar FusiĆ³n, a pop-up market that fully embraces the spirit of the one-of-a-kind genre in Mexico City. I was immediately drawn to the unique point of view represented in each of her pieces, all of them manufactured under the imprint AnLuz.
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Necklace: "Life".
Featured in Showcase 500 Art Necklaces (500 Series), published by Lark.
 
IN HER OWN WORDS
I am an industrial designer devoted to jewelry. Nothing makes me happier than spending hours in my workshop imagining, drawing and creating...
Born and raised in Mexico, with a French mother, I have always been exposed to the juxtaposition of ideas and perspectives. In my art I express multiculturalism and the feelings it brings through the integration of shapes and colors. Recently, life has brought me to Buenos Aires, Argetina where once again I have been able to enhance perspectives and incorporate new elements to my work.
I work with sterling silver and colorful enamels to bestow life and unique character to each of my creations.
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Earrings and pendant: "Alga".

IN HER OWN WORDS: AN INTERVIEW
WHAT CHALLENGES WERE YOU FACED WITH WHILE BREAKING INTO THE MARKETS BOTH IN MEXICO AND ARGENTINA? 
It's hard to have one foot in Argentina, while the other one has remained in Mexico. But I know I have to learn to deal with it. These two markets are actually very different due to their circumstances and because clients look for quite different things too.
Seasons in Mexico and Argentina do not coincide: When it's summer in Argentina, it's winter in Mexico. This simple fact poses challenges for the design of my jewelry because if I design fresh pieces for the Argentinian summer, these pieces might not fit in the Mexican winter trends. This messes my head up a bit! However, I have to admit that I can get around this particular challenge thanks to the versatility brought by working with colorful enamels, I can play with the colors of the season and adapt the pieces accordingly. So I can use fresh colors for the Argentinian summer, and incorporate cooler and wintry colors for the pieces we offer in Mexico.
Argentinian and Mexican girls have different preferences in size and style. For instance, I have noticed that in Argentina my clients prefer large fashion pieces, while my Mexican clientele tends to like smaller silver pieces.
By breaking into these two very different markets I have learned how to satisfy diverse tastes embedded in different contexts. I love this! Challenges make me grow as an artist.   
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Rings, clockwise: "Cazuelas", "Ostra", "Feux".

WHAT TRIGGERED THE IMPULSE TO BRANCH OUT TOWARDS RESOLVING MORE CONCEPTUAL PIECES? 
I have been involved with contemporary jewelry for more than three years now. When I moved to Argentina, I met a contemporary jewelry artist who was hosting a creativity workshop. I wanted to increase my social circle and I was curious about what she had to say about contemporary art. So I joined... and I loved it! Ever since then I have taken workshops and courses to encourage creativity and to learn new ways of expressing myself through more conceptual pieces. I also like participating in exhibitions, and there are many more contemporary exhibits! These are additional motivation to keep being involved.
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz, "Charro".

WHAT KEEPS YOU INSPIRED? 
My day to day. Reading. Drawing. Every detail and moment. Being attentinve and observant to everything. I like collecting things everything can help...
Then one day everything comes together and inspiration flourishes.
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Pendant: "Bite".

IN MY OWN WORDS
Anne Luz bestows a minimalist spirit to each of her pieces, paying attention to the smallest of details  while fully considering matters of colour and composition resulting in quaint, sophisticated and fully resolved bits of wearable art.

©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Earrings and pendant: "Gitanos".
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Earrings and pendant: "Tut".
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Earrings: "Antifaz".
©Anne Luz Castellanos for AnLuz. Ring: "Huichol".
The atelier, where it all happens.

 -----

No comments:

Post a Comment