Tuesday 8 January 2013

when I'm 64...*

...or 66, I want to have Bowie's inventive fortitude.
He was all over the CBC this morning because of his 66th birthday, and most importantly, because he released a new song after 10 years! Apparently nobody saw it coming, and apparently, we are all loving it.
Bowie has been in my mind for a while since learning about his traveling exhibition David Bowie Is (which will open in Toronto in September!!) and today, these musings and the date collided in amicable conversation, providing the perfect opportunity for a quick reflection, injected with Bowie's creative eccentricities. The following video (found it in youtube) is testimony of how he's never been one for remaining stagnant.
David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, from his album "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars",  1972

I love the Bowie of today, however, I've forever been star-struck by his Ziggy era (which I became aware of a few years after its debut, in my teens).
Bowie, always ahead of his time.

_____________________

FINAL REFLECTION: Music has always been the natural propeller of my days. DB's birthday made me look back into old "anthems" and role models, not because I want to hold on to a chimera, but because they are an important part of who I am. Thanks to such deliberations, this "Cranberries" gem was unburied from the NPR music archives.

______________________
*The title for today's post "when I'm 64" makes reference the The Beatles song, from 1967.

No comments:

Post a Comment